Recent Popular Posts

Friday, December 1, 2023

I Wish I Could Love the War Out of You

I wish I could love the war out of you.

So you didn’t dance with fight or flight.

I wish I could go back to every moment

where you were wronged.

And somehow make it right.

I wish I could have fought  for you 

when you were 9,

because you deserved it.

Far before you were mine. 

I wish I could love the hate out of you. 

And replace it with my eyes.

So you could see how beautiful 

you are.

to me. 

I wish I could calm the storm 

that rages inside of you 

when you trip on triggers

and take it out on me. 

Because I don’t deserve that,

but I still love you. 

So I will endure it. 

Because it is not your fault 

that the chemicals in your brain 

try to trick you into 

sabotaging the good things. 

They grow arms to push me out.

They grow a mouth to say hurtful things.

They grow legs that run away. 

But I will walk behind you saying 

“Babe,

I just wish I could love the war out of you.

But instead I’ll fight it with you.

Because I love you.

And you deserve that too.”

You.

Deserve.

That too.


~ Ashley Rose